Home of the Westwood Warriors
Welcome returning families, players and parents who are new to lacrosse, and those who are simply interested in learning more about the program. The board hopes you walk away from this meeting informed about the upcoming year and have many of your questions answered. We are here to serve you!
About Our Program
- Westwood Women’s Lacrosse is a 10-year-old program
- Lacrosse is a “club sport” which means we are not a UIL sport in Texas. Westwood Women’s Lacrosse is a 100% player/parent funded and managed. The club does not receive any support from Westwood High School or from RRISD. We do follow UIL guidelines, including player eligibility.
- Funds received go toward uniforms, tournaments, referees, equipment costs, field rentals, paid coaching staff, medical staff, etc.
- Games take place in the Georgetown - San Antonio corridor and a two-day tournament in College Station. There are 19 schools within the Central Texas High School Lacrosse League.
- The fall consists of conditioning and stick skills from October-early Jan and 2-3 scrimmages. The season officially begins in the spring and runs from the end of Jan - late April. Expect approx 12-15 games.
Meet Your board:
President: Lori Poppe Vice President: Erin Simmons
Fundraising: Amy Moravec Treasurer: Susan Bates
Social Chair: Jodi Shores School Liaison: Jennifer Arcaya
Tournament Coordinator: Ashley Hixson Uniforms: Lisa Landry
Board meetings are usually once a month, and they will be announced in advance so any parent is welcome to attend.
Chelsea Moses - Head Coach
Jim Stanley - Interim Coach
Katie Mailman - Assistant Coach
Facebook: Westwood Women’s Lacrosse
Team Snap: After you register please download the App for text alerts, emails, chats (You must have your Push Notifications enabled)
****If you are a returning player, please download the latest app update on your phone.
Costs Associated with the program:
May be paid in 3 installments (at registration, November 15th, and January 15th) and can be paid online through Teamsnap (ACH or Credit card); by Venmo (westwood_wlax), or by check.
2 Checks dated 5/1/2021***
Volunteer deposit: $250
Uniform deposit: $150
***These will be returned at the end of the season if volunteer requirements are met and complete uniform is turned in.
In the event of a cancelled season, refunds will be given based on a prorated amount, based on 7 months of practicing and games. Please note we incur fees from the start of the season all the way through the end.
In the event a student wishes to no longer pursue playing lacrosse and would like to withdraw from the team, there is a no refund policy. Coaches salaries, uniform orders and other supplies are all pre-ordered based on the number of players early in the fall so a large amount of funds are spent early in the year.
What’s included in Player Dues:
- Expert Coaching
- Rental of Uniform: jersey, skirt, black and white long-sleeve undershirt and backpack
- Rental of Boathouse jacket
- Yard Sign
- Game day shirt (to wear to school on game days)
Other Expenses to Budget for:
- Equipment Items needed below
- US Lacrosse Membership
- 1-2 nights hotel in College Station TX for Aggieland tournament in January. We will have a group block of rooms.
- 1-3 meals in College Station, TX for Aggieland tournament in January
- Occasional food cost
In October, tentative practice dates starting October 5th:
- Harper Park from 5:00-6:30: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
Future practices may be scheduled at:
- Canyon Vista Middle School
- Westwood Grass Fields
- Westwood Warrior Bowl
- Mouthguard (cannot be white or clear)
- Black Spandex Shorts (cheerleader or volleyball shorts)
- Cleats - Lacrosse or football cleats - high top recommended.
- White and Black socks
- Black Leggings (to wear when cold)
- White and black long sleeve under-shirt (to wear when cold)
- Helmet (optional,but must be white in color!)
* We recommend Dicks Sporting Goods, Lacrosse Unlimited, or Just Her Sports (Houston, TX) for your lacrosse needs. Before you buy, get advice! We are here to help!
This program is 100% parent operated. Each player is expected to have a parent member volunteer a minimum of 5 hours throughout the year. Two additional hours must be at our ATX Tune Up Tournament in February. Any parent who brings in $500+ of donations from a business is exempt from the volunteer requirements.
COVID-19 Policies and Procedures:
We will be following UIL guidance and RRISD safety plan for practices and games.
- Temperature checks before practice
- Daily self-check on Teamsnap before ALL practices and games within 8 hours of start time. MANDATORY! NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Coaches will wear masks at practices and games as required by UIL and RRISD.
- Parents and spectators observing practice will be required to wear a mask.
- Players who are not actively participating in drills will be required to wear a mask on the sidelines.
- Players should make best efforts to maintain a distance of 6 feet from teammates when able to do so.
Please realize, these guidelines could change based on UIL and district regulations so we appreciate your patience as we navigate these uncharted waters.
https://www.uiltexas.org/policy/covid-19 (most recent updates 9/1/2020)
We have several spirit wear items available for purchase. Please reach out to Amy Moravec for specific items and sizes.
Steps to Register: ***
- Sign Up or renew your US Lacrosse Membership - visit www.uslacrosse.org ***Membership must be valid through 5/1/2021.
- Visit https://go.teamsnap.com/forms/244435 and complete the online registration.
- Have a sports physical completed by your doctor and upload to your Teamsnap portal or turn in by October 15th.
- Need a copy of your insurance card - front and back.
- Complete and sign the WWLAX Player/Parent waiver
- Complete the COVID-19 waiver
- Complete and sign the Volunteer Agreement
- Pay the 1st installment of your dues. If paying by check, we need all 3 checks dated correctly
- Provide deposit checks of $250 for volunteer buy out and $150 uniform deposit.
- Complete the uniform order form
***We can help you with any of these steps. Questions after the meeting about registration? Contact Erin Simmons at 512-378-0210 or firstname.lastname@example.org