Westwood Women's Lacrosse
2019-2020 Player/Parent Meeting
Welcome returning families, players and parents who are new to lacrosse, and those who are simply interested in learning more about the program. The board hopes you walk away from this meeting informed about the upcoming year and have many of your questions answered. We are here to serve you!
About Our Program
- Westwood Women’s Lacrosse is a 10-year-old program
- Lacrosse is a “club sport” which means we are not a UIL sport in Texas. Westwood Women’s Lacrosse is a 100% player/parent funded and managed. The club does not receive any support from Westwood High School or from RRISD. We do follow UIL guidelines, including player eligibility.
- Funds received go toward uniforms, tournaments, referees, equipment costs, field rentals, paid coaching staff, medical staff, etc.
- Games take place in the Georgetown - San Antonio corridor and a two-day tournament in College Station. There are 19 schools within the Central Texas High School Lacrosse League.
- The fall consists of conditioning and stick skills from October-early Jan and 2-3 scrimmages. The season officially begins in the spring and runs from the end of Jan - late April. Expect approx 12-15 games.
Meet Your board:
President: Lori Poppe Secretary: Kristen Newlin
Vice President: Erin Simmons Treasurer: Katy Cramer
Social Chair: Jodi Shores School Liaison: Alexandra Goff
Tournament Coordinator: Pete Miller | Ashley Hixson Uniforms: Petra Doktar
Board meetings are usually once a month, and they will be announced in advance so any parent is welcome to attend.
Meet your Coaches:
Head Coach: Lewis Wright
Assistant Coach: Jamie Booth
Facebook: Westwood Women’s Lacrosse
Team Snap: After you register please download the App for text alerts, emails, chats (You must have your Push Notifications enabled)
Costs Associated with the program:
May be paid in 3 installments (at registration, November 15th, and January 15th) and can be paid online or by check.
2 Checks dated 5/1/2020
Volunteer deposit ($250)
Uniform deposit ($150)
These will be returned at the end of the season if volunteer requirements are met and complete uniform is turned in.
What’s included in Player Dues:
- Expert Coaching
- Rental of Uniform: jersey, skirt, black and white long-sleeve undershirt and backpack
- Rental of Boathouse jacket
- Yard Sign
- Game day shirt (to wear to school on game days)
- ATX Tune-Up Tournament shirt
- Lunch for player at Aggieland tournament and at ATX Tune-Up Tournament.
Other Expenses to Budget for:
- Equipment Items needed below
- US Lacrosse Membership
- 1-2 nights hotel in College Station TX for Aggieland tournament in January. We will have a group block of rooms.
- 1-3 meals in College Station, TX for Aggieland tournament in January
- Occasional food cost
In October, practices will be held:
- Pecan Creek Park (Pecan Creek Pkwy and Gungrove Dr) on Monday’s from 4:45-6:15
- Westwood Grass Fields on Wednesday’s from 4:45-6:15
- Westwood Grass Fields on Thursdays from 4:45-6:15
- Mouthguard (cannot be white or clear)
- Black Spandex Shorts (cheerleader or volleyball shorts)
- Cleats - Lacrosse or football cleats - high top recommended.
- White and Black socks
- Black Leggings (to wear when cold)
- Helmet (optional,but must be white in color!)
* We recommend Dicks Sporting Goods, Lacrosse Unlimited, or Just Her Sports (Houston, TX) for your lacrosse needs. Before you buy, get advice! We are here to help!
Volunteer Expectations: This program is 100% parent operated. Each player is expected to have a parent volunteer a minimum of 7 hours throughout the year. Two of the seven hours must be at our ATX Tune Up Tournament in February. Any parent who brings in $500+ of donations from a business is exempt from the volunteer requirements.
Please visit the Volunteer tables to understand volunteer opportunities:
- Social Events
- Game Day Assistance
- Club Treasurer (shadow for next year)
Steps to Register: ***
- Sign Up or renew your US Lacrosse Membership - visit www.uslacrosse.org ***Membership must be valid through 5/15/2020.
- Visit https://go.teamsnap.com/forms/208758 and complete the online registration.
- Have a sports physical completed by your doctor and upload to your Teamsnap portal or turn in by October 15th.
- Need a copy of your insurance card - front and back.
- Complete and sign the WWLAX Player/Parent waiver
- Complete and sign the Volunteer Agreement and provide
- Pay the 1st installment of your dues. If paying by check, we need all 3 checks dated correctly
- Provide deposit checks of $250 for volunteer buy out and $150 uniform deposit.
- New Players ONLY - Visit the Uniform table for sizing
***We can help you with any of these steps tonight. Questions after the meeting about registration? Contact Erin Simmons at 512-378-0210 or email@example.com
Don’t forget to visit the Spirit Wear Table for WWLAX goodies!